The Charlotte in Leicester looks set to close

Off-topic chat. Items cannot be returned without a ticket.

The Charlotte in Leicester looks set to close

Postby Chris DLS » 21st Jan 09, 20:16

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/news/Famous-city-music-venue-set-close/article-616785-detail/article.html

Looks like there's another venue to add to the seemingly never ending growing list of places that used to be.

I know Ginger hated it, I know he said at the end of the Spring 2007 tour that they'd never play a toilet like that again, but c'mon, anyone who was there that night will know what a fantastic gig that was.

And it was my local venue to see all sorts of stuff that I'd never have seen otherwise.

It'll be a sad day if, or more likely when, it goes.
Chris DLS
 
Posts: 106
Joined: 22nd Oct 07, 13:09
Location: Leicester

Postby geordierussell » 21st Jan 09, 21:21

Just like Tesco et al closing local shops, so Livenation, Carling and their ilk are doing the same for small venues.

It's a fucking disgrace.

We will all be forced to pay at least £5.00 booking fees and sky high prices, because the fuckwits that run these corporations don't give a toss about the likes of me and you.
geordierussell
 
Posts: 1231
Joined: 9th Mar 06, 18:59
Location: chesterfield

Postby stuff » 21st Jan 09, 21:29

If the Charlotte is considered a toilet, then there are a lot of venues I've been to that are undescribable.

Saw some good gigs at the Charlotte - Honeycrack, Sugar, Nova Mob notable amongst many others.

I always felt it was disappointing that they painted over the jelly babies on the walls
stuff
 
Posts: 79
Joined: 16th Jun 07, 14:42

Postby vickyp » 22nd Jan 09, 00:24

It will be a huge shame to lose another landmark venue. Is it definitely closing or is there still a chance it will be kept open?
I've never been but I always imagined the place as being practically twinned with Leeds Duchess as the two venues were always on the same tours. I wonder if they'll turn this one into an overpriced clothes shop too. :cry:
It might be a toilet venue but every town needs toilet venues where the little tadpoles can take their first footsteps on the way to being bigger froggies. And then get to play bigger toilets. (Er, this analogy is crap, please ignore it.)
Eureka Machines new single 'Everyone Loves You' - OUT NOW!
www.eurekamachines.com
vickyp
 
Posts: 662
Joined: 10th Jun 06, 01:35
Location: Leeds

Postby Andy Santiago » 22nd Jan 09, 12:00

Damn shame that The Charlotte is closing. I only ever went to 2 gigs there (Dust Junkys and The Dandy Warhols, both sold out and hotter than all the Hell) and it was a pretty good little venue.
I'm always saddened when such places go under and I wonder how long it will be before the Carling/O2 whatever they are this week Academy group has even more of a monopoly on the UK gig scene.
If venues like this continue to close then where are the new bands going to cut their teeth?
"All fucked up and ready to roll"!!
Andy Santiago
 
Posts: 215
Joined: 26th Feb 06, 22:55
Location: Shitsville DN4.

Postby shockingcandy » 22nd Jan 09, 21:47

Some good news though...Juntion 7 is reopening

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/ ... ticle.html
New Kazooee album 'Wish I Had A Wolf Suit' OUT NOW!
http://www.myspace.com/kazooee
shockingcandy
 
Posts: 362
Joined: 18th Mar 06, 00:23
Location: Nottingham

Postby Chris DLS » 23rd Jan 09, 09:35

vickyp Posted: 21st Jan 09, 22:24 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It will be a huge shame to lose another landmark venue. Is it definitely closing or is there still a chance it will be kept open?


There's talk that Kasabian may be looking to do something, being the local hometown boys, but even then a one-off benefit gig will only keep the wolves from the door for a while.

We saw Eureka Machines there last year, and there were only couple of dozen people there tops, similar when Ginger did his acoustic gig this time last year. In fact for all the gigs I went there last year (about 15 all told), I don't think it was ever any more than half full.
Chris DLS
 
Posts: 106
Joined: 22nd Oct 07, 13:09
Location: Leicester

Postby benwalton » 23rd Jan 09, 21:46

I went to the Charlotte for Eureka Machines last year too, Only time i've ever been, but we had a cool time anyway...me and my mate had been to see Slaves To Gravity at rock city a few weeks before and that was pretty empty too - we thought we were jinxing every gig we went to...

I dunno where i heard it, but I did hear that De Montfort Hall might be looking into doing something with the Charlotte - not quite sure what, but i'm sure i heard it somewhere. Not sure exactly of the implications of a place like de montfort taking over The Charlotte...hmmmmm
and just last week as i was clearing shit from off my shelf...
benwalton
 
Posts: 118
Joined: 12th Feb 06, 22:02

Postby Chris DLS » 27th Jan 09, 09:46

Latest update - It's gone - tried to book tickets last night to see Goldblade, website says gone into administration and is now closed.

Boo!!
Chris DLS
 
Posts: 106
Joined: 22nd Oct 07, 13:09
Location: Leicester


Return to The Cloakroom

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests