Music I've got lately that I like (and you might too)

Off-topic chat. Items cannot be returned without a ticket.

Music I've got lately that I like (and you might too)

Postby melx » 4th Aug 09, 01:57

Firstly...

The Cult : Born into This

really really love this album from 2007..... if you like any of the Cult's other albums you will love this...to me it sounds like a cross between 'love' and 'sonic temple' .....Rocking but with more melody and tunes than the 'ac/dc rip off' phase. Check it out.

Circus Diablo : Circus Diablo

You've probably heard this already if not you should have. Billy Duffy, Billy Morrison, Ricky Warwick....good rock album.

The Doughboys : I've loved this band for years and recently started tracking down the CD's so I can put my deteriorating vinyl on the shelf..... Awesome Canadian Melodic punk/pop/rock ..... Check out 'Home Again' ' Happy Accidents' 'Whatever' 'Crush' & 'Turn me On' ......... if you can track them down. Earlier stuff is punkier, later stuff rockier.

I also heard Big Drill Car have a new album out...... which could be exciting.
melx
 
Posts: 127
Joined: 8th Jul 09, 17:19
Location: Resident of the United Kingdom

Re: Music I've got lately that I like (and you might too)

Postby Sarc » 4th Aug 09, 02:35

melx wrote:
The Doughboys : I've loved this band for years and recently started tracking down the CD's so I can put my deteriorating vinyl on the shelf..... Awesome Canadian Melodic punk/pop/rock ..... Check out 'Home Again' ' Happy Accidents' 'Whatever' 'Crush' & 'Turn me On' ......... if you can track them down. Earlier stuff is punkier, later stuff rockier.

I also heard Big Drill Car have a new album out...... which could be exciting.


Fucking hell, I thought i was the only person in the UK who knew about these guys, I got into them back in 96 and they did that one thing that i hate bands doing where they havent quite split up but arent playing together anymore, their singer John Kastner formed another band after the Doughboys called All Systems GO who released two albums and they did the same thing.

Back to the Doughboys if you can get hold of their eps When Up Turns to Down and Blanche you're in for a treat. 16 sins and Seans Stories are fantastic tracks.

Kastners solo album is a bit of a corker to.
Did you just say "Pig Flute"?

http://www.amiatwat.com

Please welcome a new kind of Mod
Sarc
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: 25th Apr 07, 22:27
Location: Brighton

Re: Music I've got lately that I like (and you might too)

Postby melx » 4th Aug 09, 03:10

Sarc wrote:
melx wrote:
The Doughboys : I've loved this band for years and recently started tracking down the CD's so I can put my deteriorating vinyl on the shelf..... Awesome Canadian Melodic punk/pop/rock ..... Check out 'Home Again' ' Happy Accidents' 'Whatever' 'Crush' & 'Turn me On' ......... if you can track them down. Earlier stuff is punkier, later stuff rockier.

I also heard Big Drill Car have a new album out...... which could be exciting.


Fucking hell, I thought i was the only person in the UK who knew about these guys, I got into them back in 96 and they did that one thing that i hate bands doing where they havent quite split up but arent playing together anymore, their singer John Kastner formed another band after the Doughboys called All Systems GO who released two albums and they did the same thing.

Back to the Doughboys if you can get hold of their eps When Up Turns to Down and Blanche you're in for a treat. 16 sins and Seans Stories are fantastic tracks.

Kastners solo album is a bit of a corker to.


awesome.... I know 3 other people who like them (and they are all friends of mine!!) I was lucky enough to see them twice....first time was at reading festival (might have been 93? in the 'melody maker' tent as it was known then... they were great but I remember being gutted they didn't have T-shirts for sale. LOL! Then I saw them at the 'town & country club' (now the forum) in London with Ned's Atomic Dustbin and Mega City Four...... that was pretty awesome and I did get a T-shirt that time!!! They didn't play in the UK much at all, I only know of two other London gigs that my mate went to.

I have 'when up turns to down' but I've never heard of 'Blanche' ??? .... I also have that 'La Majeure 1987' demo ep that Boss Tuneage put out a few years back. .... the Kastner album is in the post actually (on vinyl) looking forward to that. I'm pretty sure my mate has everything they've ever released....I know he has a weird 7" and a few CD singles from the later albums.

yeah, I like All Systems Go too... another fine band.

I'm always looking for bands that sound like this....but they seem few and far between.

Maybe the WH's will do a cover of 'countdown' on 'stop us vol2' :)

....or 'I never liked you' off turn me on would be cool...... I wonder if Ginge likes the Doughboys?
melx
 
Posts: 127
Joined: 8th Jul 09, 17:19
Location: Resident of the United Kingdom

Postby Sarc » 4th Aug 09, 03:12

I'll knock you up some cds in time for the brighton show then dear boy, I have a lot of stuff like that
Did you just say "Pig Flute"?

http://www.amiatwat.com

Please welcome a new kind of Mod
Sarc
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: 25th Apr 07, 22:27
Location: Brighton

Postby melx » 4th Aug 09, 03:43

Sarc wrote:I'll knock you up some cds in time for the brighton show then dear boy, I have a lot of stuff like that


That would be great, nice one.

I'm up with bloody toothache at the moment..... good job I have the dentist in the morning, I think I'm gonna have one tooth less in my gob come this time tomorrow....
melx
 
Posts: 127
Joined: 8th Jul 09, 17:19
Location: Resident of the United Kingdom

Postby Speedy1974 » 5th Aug 09, 21:05

I'm currently really enjoying listening to Volbeat

Its a strange mix of genres, but very good listening
Speedy1974
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 26th Feb 08, 23:05

Postby Col » 5th Aug 09, 21:42

Will check em out cheers.
Col
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: 12th Feb 06, 17:28

Postby spoon_of_grimbo » 6th Aug 09, 19:59

i've been digging the new He Is Legend record, "It Hates You." really nice mix of huge rock riffs, amazing melodies, a bit of metal-influence, and weird-ass lyrics. seriously awesome album.
IF THERE'S A SOUND YOU PLAY THAT DOESN'T FIT TODAY,
WHY NOT JUST PLAY THE BASTARD ANYWAY?!
Image
spoon_of_grimbo
 
Posts: 915
Joined: 19th Aug 07, 13:56
Location: Boston, UK (Home) / Coventry, UK (Uni)

Postby Sarc » 6th Aug 09, 20:39

spoon_of_grimbo wrote:i've been digging the new He Is Legend record, "It Hates You." really nice mix of huge rock riffs, amazing melodies, a bit of metal-influence, and weird-ass lyrics. seriously awesome album.


Godawfully shite live though
Did you just say "Pig Flute"?

http://www.amiatwat.com

Please welcome a new kind of Mod
Sarc
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: 25th Apr 07, 22:27
Location: Brighton

Postby Col » 6th Aug 09, 20:48

How the fuck did I mss Circus Diablo?
Col
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: 12th Feb 06, 17:28

Postby Col » 7th Aug 09, 21:12

Melx

Great heads up, cheers. Ordered both Circus Diablo and Cult albums after previewing them via tinterweb.

Checkout The Chelsea Smiles if u get a mo.
Col
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: 12th Feb 06, 17:28

Postby melx » 7th Aug 09, 21:15

cool, the first two tracks on that cult album are particularly great... I hadn't listened to them since 'sonic temple' and getting this has got me right back into them again!
melx
 
Posts: 127
Joined: 8th Jul 09, 17:19
Location: Resident of the United Kingdom

Postby melx » 7th Aug 09, 21:20

Col wrote:Checkout The Chelsea Smiles if u get a mo.


just been listening on myspace...not bad, probably not something I would buy but....defo listenable. :)
melx
 
Posts: 127
Joined: 8th Jul 09, 17:19
Location: Resident of the United Kingdom


Return to The Cloakroom

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

cron