Growing older rant

Off-topic chat. Items cannot be returned without a ticket.

Growing older rant

Postby Ady » 11th Feb 07, 19:20

Ok this is very off topic but then this is the off topic section of the board.

Does everyone feel that they've mellowed out with their music tastes these days?? If you had told the 16 year old me that i'd be listening to pop albums (Mika, Lily Allen, Girls Aloud - yes sorry) by the time i was 30, i probably would have commited suicide then. I mean i hated Take that back then, now i LIKE the new single (Shine). I know i've had varied tastes, liked Erasure back then too, but then they were always on the outside circle of the pop fraternity. Strange.

That said i'm waiting on baited breathe for the new WH album, got me salivating at the fact that it's supposed to be a lot heavier than WHMBD.
Life has teeth, and bites the feeding open hand.

www.myspace.com/adycolclough
Ady
 
Posts: 214
Joined: 6th Mar 06, 11:55
Location: Wrexham, North Wales

Re: Growing older rant

Postby Col » 11th Feb 07, 19:30

Ady wrote:Does everyone feel that they've mellowed out with their music tastes these days?? .

No absolutely not.

Perhaps that's why I'm not getting away with Yoni.
Col
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: 12th Feb 06, 17:28

Postby lemon & ginger » 11th Feb 07, 19:48

Does everyone feel that they've mellowed out with their music tastes these days??


Absolutely. I used to love stuff like carcass, obituary, machine head etc. and now i own (and listen to) albums by the likes of sugababes, avril lavigne (probably inexusable), and amy studt. i too don't mind take that, that patience single is alright. and i went to see them last year (my girlfriend's idea not mine) and they were all right.

you need a bit of variety (i do think that SOD remix is crap though).
lemon & ginger
 
Posts: 96
Joined: 6th Sep 06, 17:40
Location: London

Postby Dave C » 11th Feb 07, 20:38

Yeah I agree, I'm mellowing out with the old musical taste, but to admit to liking Take That? Man you need your damn head looking into! :wink:
Dave C
 
Posts: 330
Joined: 15th Feb 06, 20:31
Location: Barrow in Furness, Lancashire, England.

Re: Growing older rant

Postby nig1012 » 11th Feb 07, 22:24

Ady wrote:Ok this is very off topic but then this is the off topic section of the board.

Does everyone feel that they've mellowed out with their music tastes these days?? If you had told the 16 year old me that i'd be listening to pop albums (Mika, Lily Allen, Girls Aloud - yes sorry) by the time i was 30, i probably would have commited suicide then. I mean i hated Take that back then, now i LIKE the new single (Shine). I know i've had varied tastes, liked Erasure back then too, but then they were always on the outside circle of the pop fraternity. Strange.

That said i'm waiting on baited breathe for the new WH album, got me salivating at the fact that it's supposed to be a lot heavier than WHMBD.


dude don`t try to redeam yourself with that last paragraph you are one sad fuck, and i think you should go to the next wildhearts gig in a take that t shirt you muppet. no seriously take that are SHIT but i love guitars and guitar music so my cd collection consists of bands like THE WILDHEARTS,GINGER,DOD DAMN WHORES,TURBONEGRO,BACKYARD BABIES,HARDCORE SUPERSTAR,SUPERREAL,SUM 41,BOWLING 4 SOUP,ANGELS AND AIRWAVES,BLINK 182,RANCID,NOFX,GREEN DAY,THE OFFSPRING,THE NETWORK,DRAGONFORCE,TRIVIUM,BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE,KILLSWITCH ENGAGE etc etc but i also still love ADAM AND THE ANTS,THE JAM,THE BEACH BOYS so dude at the end of the day if you like something then go for it fuck what anybody else thinks and hats off to you for admitting you like take that! but dude its like TAKE THAT
nig1012
 
Posts: 877
Joined: 30th Mar 06, 19:16
Location: crewe

Postby Damian » 12th Feb 07, 01:13

I seriously hope you're joking, person above, because if not that was all a bit unnecessary. And rude.

Viva eclecticism, say I. Pop, rock, classical, techno, hip-hop... there's good and bad in everything. I always saw The Wildhearts as a band who were in love with pop music. Ginger has talked of his love for Super Furry Animals and Supergrass previously, and I didn't see any contradiction there. A good record is a good record. Ghettoisation (e.g. "if it hasn't got guitars, it isn't real music") is bad.
Damian
 
Posts: 1257
Joined: 11th Feb 06, 02:14
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby shockingcandy » 12th Feb 07, 01:28

Well I passed the big 3-0 a year or so back and to me crap pop music is still the same crap pop music it was when I was 18. Then again, I find most metal (modern or otherwise) sounds cheesy these days too. Maybe I'm just getting harder to please but there is still some good stuff out there. Recent favs include Gossip, Be Your Own Pet, Humanwine, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Dresden Dolls and I've also being "re-discovering" the likes of Jack Off Jill, Babes In Toyland, Nirvana. Yeah, I guess I still like noisy stuff. Maybe it's all about where you're at in your life? I don't have a career plan, a mortgage or a pension and I still have the same ambitions within music I has 10 or 15 years ago. LOL maybe I just haven't grown up!
Still don't "get" Yoni though...
New Kazooee album 'Wish I Had A Wolf Suit' OUT NOW!
http://www.myspace.com/kazooee
shockingcandy
 
Posts: 362
Joined: 18th Mar 06, 00:23
Location: Nottingham

Postby Damian » 12th Feb 07, 01:57

Well, crap pop music is crap pop music. Good pop music is good pop music. I'm 34 myself. Got a mortgage and a pension... and like Yoni lots. Oddly enough, as I've got older I like noisy stuff more. Not metal (I've never been a big metal fan) but... noisy stuff. Up until I was about 24, I was only into 'old' stuff like Led Zeppelin and whatnot then, of all things, I heard "Parklife" and that was me corrupted for life. I started listening to stuff made - shock! - by people my age and people younger than me.

Equally though I despise it when sections of the music press write people off just because they're over a certain age (to give it credit, at least Kerrang! doesn't do that). But then it's really selective to fit their agenda. When "Stormy In The North..." got to number 18, NME.com's chart round up said "Hoary old rockers The Wildhearts..." in a throwaway sentence. But they used to absolutely love him - he was Captain Rentaquote and there was a particularly entertaining article one Christmas where he was on a panel looking over some of the year's singles. They liked the music too. He was a great raconteur... but he still is. Getting to the reason I used the word "selective"... a few weeks after that the physical copy of the magazine had Ian Brown on the cover. Who is two years older than Ginger.
Damian
 
Posts: 1257
Joined: 11th Feb 06, 02:14
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby Ross » 12th Feb 07, 11:58

I find I've mellowed a bit. I used to listen to Slayer and stuff... Now I find them a bit twee. Although, I still love Metallica, I love the Wildhearts, I love my grunge stuff, and Faith no More, but I also love acoustic music, Tom Waits, and classical stuff... The last three gigs I've been to were The Magic Numbers (fantastic, really great band), Misty's Big Adventure (excellent spaz band from Birmingham) and Mozart by Candlelight (beautiful music). I just think I'm lucky that my tastes have broadened cos I was missing out on so much good music.

I think as you age you realise that the music you listen to is not your identity. Which is very much the case when you're a teenager...
Image
Ross
 
Posts: 407
Joined: 1st Mar 06, 17:28
Location: Leicester UK

Postby markE » 12th Feb 07, 12:16

i think it all comes down to moods - sometimes you want shout and scream and jump about, other times you just want to chill. i think most of the above posts demonstrate one thing- it doesn't matter what the music is as long as you enjoy it. and ginger is the classic example of this. how else could the same man be responsible for endless nameless and yoni.
if variety is the spice of life then my favourite spice is ginger :oops: :oops:
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE
 
Posts: 764
Joined: 18th May 06, 13:53

Postby shockingcandy » 12th Feb 07, 13:05

Ross wrote:I think as you age you realise that the music you listen to is not your identity. Which is very much the case when you're a teenager...


I'm not sure I totally agree with that statement. The music I listen to still goes hand in hand with the way I dress, the people I choose to hang with and the places we go. Cause or effect? I'm not sure, but it sure beats defining myself by the dull job I do.
New Kazooee album 'Wish I Had A Wolf Suit' OUT NOW!
http://www.myspace.com/kazooee
shockingcandy
 
Posts: 362
Joined: 18th Mar 06, 00:23
Location: Nottingham

Postby lob » 12th Feb 07, 14:40

Can't say I have mellowed particularly, I am 50 now and my musical interests have ebbed and flowed over the years. Sometimes singer/songwriters, sometimes guitar bands - jazz, blues, hip-hop classical, rockabilly, art-rock, post-rock hard-rock and all those other rocks - as long as it is a good tune/song. In fact I would say that I have got more interested in the grittier end of rock music over the last few years - God I shiver when I look back to the mid nineties when I actually went to the NEC and saw Clapton, thank goodness I have put away the cardigan and slippers and got out the old DM's again.

I didn't know/see the Wildhearts until my late forties (thank you daughters) and over the last year or so not only have i seen Ginger, the Wildhearts and the Cardiacs but also artists as different as The Fall, Max Romeo and Martha Wainright. It has got better as I don't have to worry any more, I know that I am older than most people at gigs and probably stand out but sod it, I am enjoying myself (except at Martha's gig the only one in my life I have walked out of, she was pissed and it was embarassing to watch).
Blimey but I am tired
lob
 
Posts: 134
Joined: 11th Aug 06, 15:45
Location: London/Oxford

Postby Assmask » 12th Feb 07, 17:20

I think Nig1012 was actually just playing a bit on the strength of Take That being mentioned in the first place.

Personally I think I'd quite like to go to the next WH gig in a Take That tshirt - why conform to non-conformism, eh?

I was out in Rock City on sat night with eyeliner on and I got so much fucking abuse it was unreal. Really enjoyed it.
Assmask
 
Posts: 571
Joined: 30th Mar 06, 12:22
Location: Belfast

Postby Col » 12th Feb 07, 21:03

Eyeliner rules. I often get pissed and end up putting some on.
Col
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: 12th Feb 06, 17:28

Postby nig1012 » 12th Feb 07, 23:58

yes i woz actually just having a larf and trying to provoke a response hey we all can make our own mind up about whats good and whats not our cup of tea, i don`t like calling any music crap thats just ignorance but still TAKE THAT dude :)
nig1012
 
Posts: 877
Joined: 30th Mar 06, 19:16
Location: crewe

Next

Return to The Cloakroom

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests