Page 1 of 2
Can you recommend some good bands...?

Posted:
9th Aug 08, 23:44
by Jason_scorching_past
Hi,
I haven't really been taking much notice of the rock scene lately aside from buying Wildhearts/Ginger cds and the odd cd from well known bands (Green Day, Foo Fighters etc) so i wondered if fellow fans of the best band in the world could point me in the direction of some decent new (or lesser known) bands?
Just to give you an idea of what I like aside from Ginger - Eve 6, Everclear, Andrew WK, GNR, Butch Walker, Soul Asylum, Bowling for Soup.
Cheers

Posted:
9th Aug 08, 23:54
by Chris Davies
You like some really catchy bands so I'd recconmend these lesser(to an extent) known bands,
Therapy?
Turbonegro
The Dogs D'Amour
Supersuckers
Social Distortion
They are good rock n roll bands that are great for a singalong. Give a few bands a listen on youtube or something if catchy is your thing.

Posted:
10th Aug 08, 00:13
by DangerousBeans
I'd like to add...
The Almighty
Terrorvision
Backyard Babies(particularly Total 13)

Posted:
10th Aug 08, 13:52
by vickyp
I would highly recommend you check out Eureka Machines, you can listen to some tracks here:
www.myspace.com/eurekamachines
And there's a thread elsewhere in the cloakroom with more info.

Posted:
10th Aug 08, 15:18
by cjrodwell
Bullets 'n Octane - I reckon "Songs For The Underdog" is their best album so I'd start there
http://www.myspace.com/bulletsandoctane

Posted:
10th Aug 08, 19:35
by spoon_of_grimbo
i've been listening to the new Off With Their Heads album ("From the Bottom") loads since it came out, kinda catchy singalong punk/rock, but the singer sounds like Andrew WK if he drank battery acid - which is awesome. it's streaming here:
http://www.punknews.org/bands/offwiththeirheads

Posted:
10th Aug 08, 19:40
by nuno75
I've been pushing the Scars on Broadway album every chance I get. Other notable bands and albums, for me, are:
Mourning Widows - S/T and Furnished Souls For Rent
Sublime - Sublime and 40 Oz. to Freedom
Saigon Kick - Entire catelogue
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Entire catelogue
Extreme - first three albums
If I think of more, I'll list them later.

Posted:
10th Aug 08, 20:06
by Col
Backyard Babies
Therapy?
Almighty
Hanoi Rocks, also checkout M Monroe solo stuff
Eagles of Death Metal
Bullets and Octane
Black rebel motorcycle club (Baby 81)
Bullets and Octane
Zen Motel
GU Medicine
Janes Addiction

Posted:
10th Aug 08, 20:58
by denis
i would highly recommend the fourth album by Against Me!
it's called new wave and is their major label debut.
butch vig (of nirvana nevermind fame) produced it. we're talking big riffs and catchy choruses that ginger himself would be proud of. check them out.

Posted:
10th Aug 08, 21:02
by spoon_of_grimbo
nearly forgot... ROCKET FROM THE CRYPT!!!!!

Posted:
12th Aug 08, 00:47
by Jason_scorching_past
wow thanks for the responses, there's a lot there to be getting on with, some of them I have the odd album by eg Therapy? and RFTC but nothing from the last approx 5- 10 years. I thnk the last Therapy? album I bought was "Semi - detached" can anyone recommend any of their more recent output? I always preferred their more melodic side eg Lonely Crying Only, Die Laughing etc.
Right, I am off to discover some new tunes.....
...and already liking Against Me! and Off With Their Heads, great stuff. I look forward to checking out many of the other suggestions, thanks again.

Posted:
12th Aug 08, 01:23
by colzo666
One Cure Fits All is T?'s latest more 'melodic' output, although the production leaves a lot to be desired.
Well, maybe I'm being harsh, but the production isn't as good as Never Apologise Never Explain, which, to be honest, might not be a great buy if you're into their more melodic stuff.
High Anxiety is their 2003 album I reckon you should go for. Great hooks with songs like 'If it kills me' and 'Limbo' and a little heavier with 'Hey Satan You Rock' and 'Rust' (which has a great hidden track!)
If you have iTunes get yer hands on Long Distance off the NANE album. Probably one of the songs on the album beside Polar Bear.


Posted:
12th Aug 08, 01:58
by spoon_of_grimbo
although it's probably their least melodic, it's worth checking out "suicide pact - you first" by therapy? as it's grimy and fuzzy and distorted as fuck - you'd barely believe it's them, but if you're in the right mood, it's an awesome album, kinda like their "endless nameless."
good to hear you're liking off with their heads too, i've just posted a review of that album if you fancy a read:
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=29615

Posted:
12th Aug 08, 19:53
by vickyp
Couple more for the list:
Danko Jones - if you haven't heard any yet you have to check these guys out. If you go to the myspace page (
http://www.myspace.com/dankojones) and play 'Lovercall' you can hear the meatiest, beefiest, drop down deadest best bass riff in the world. Fact!
Bombshell Rocks - Swedish melodic punk with big choruses.

Posted:
12th Aug 08, 21:28
by oleandershelly
I'd have to second a few of these (most have been mentioned already) and add some myself.
Me First and the Gimmes
Terrorvision
Supersuckers
Almighty
Skid Row
Rocket from the Crypt
Drop Kick Murphys
Flogging Molly
The Grits (only one album, but are amazing)
Black Label Society
Thunder
Helvelyn2