Page 1 of 1

Vinyl to mp3

PostPosted: 12th Mar 09, 11:12
by Radish
Here's a question, does anybody have any experience of or advice on any companies who offer a service to turn vinyl lps & singles into mp3? I've got a fair few records I haven't heard in ages as I no longer own a record deck, and wondered if it's worth buying a usb turntable or getting someone else to do it. A quick google seems to indicate it'd be bloody expensive to get someone to do it (up to £20 per album :shock: ) but I guess that would at least save me the time and hassle of doing it myself. I don't know.

On an unrelated note, I started watching Nightingales for the first time since the early 90s last night. Still as batshit fruitloop nuts as I remember it, if you don't know what I'm on about but you like slightly odd comedy (I'd say Spaced, League of Gentlemen, that kind of stuff) it's only £7.99 on play.com.

Re: Vinyl to mp3

PostPosted: 12th Mar 09, 11:48
by Pudu
Radish wrote: On an unrelated note, I started watching Nightingales for the first time since the early 90s last night. Still as batshit fruitloop nuts as I remember it, if you don't know what I'm on about but you like slightly odd comedy (I'd say Spaced, League of Gentlemen, that kind of stuff) it's only £7.99 on play.com.


There's nobody here but us chickens!! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 12th Mar 09, 11:56
by Pudu
Thanks for that Radish just ordered it. Cant wait to see it again. A great comedy.

Re: Vinyl to mp3

PostPosted: 12th Mar 09, 11:58
by Ean
Pudu wrote:
Radish wrote: On an unrelated note, I started watching Nightingales for the first time since the early 90s last night. Still as batshit fruitloop nuts as I remember it, if you don't know what I'm on about but you like slightly odd comedy (I'd say Spaced, League of Gentlemen, that kind of stuff) it's only £7.99 on play.com.


There's nobody here but us chickens!! :lol: :lol:

Wow, bizarre, I was only thinking of that show yesterday.

That and Chelmsford 123.


Oh, and off topic I know, but I suppose the vinyl issue depends on whether you want to just rip the albums or whether you want someone to sit there removing all the cracks and pops?

PostPosted: 12th Mar 09, 13:09
by Radish
"We never use first names Eric" "Jesus CHRIST". Spat my drink all over the floor, forgotten just how great the comedy timing is. You had to be there I guess.

With the vinyl, I guess I just want it to be listenable - if there's a few crackles I can probably live with that. I was thinking there may be another issue, as some of the lps have grooves so dense it affects the sound level. Dogshits and Bootlegs is one such lp, really quiet record that I assume would need some kind of attention in a mp3 transfer.

PostPosted: 12th Mar 09, 15:42
by lob
Am struggling with this problem myself. I have read acres of info on places that sell equipment to make the transfer, and looked at the costs of getting someone else to do it (way too much) and I reckon the best bet is to invest in a cheap but good deck and the software allow you to plug it directly into your pc. Certainly it would seem that the so called 'special' decks that are supposed to do it all for you are crap, not because of the MP3 creation part but because they are just terrible record decks.

Mind you I still haven't done anything about it!

PostPosted: 12th Mar 09, 19:16
by blackdeathcrew
There's interesting reading here http://www.br0wn.co.uk/vinyltocd.htm about how to transfer vinyl mate

PostPosted: 12th Mar 09, 19:18
by blackdeathcrew
And a quick look on ebay show's a reasonably priced usb turntable that'll do the job for ya well enough too http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270283307900&cguid=12463a6411e0a0aad292fa62fc6de720

PostPosted: 12th Mar 09, 21:06
by Col
hahaha, nightingales - fuckin class, I've had the DVD for a while now.

"I can't see any stone cladding"
"that's coz that's a picture of the outside"