New Green Day album

Off-topic chat. Items cannot be returned without a ticket.

New Green Day album

Postby Sarc » 11th May 09, 18:22

Has anyone heard the leak? I have it on now and i have to say those people who think this is the most anticipated album this year will be sorely disappointed, its a huge let down, the songs are there admittedly but they're just not grabbing me, ive listend to it twice and couldnt tell you which song is which as it just passes me by.

Sorry guys, close but no biscuit this time.

Of course it's still going to win shit loads of awards as all the tweens will go out and buy it won't they.
Did you just say "Pig Flute"?

http://www.amiatwat.com

Please welcome a new kind of Mod
Sarc
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: 25th Apr 07, 22:27
Location: Brighton

Postby blackdeathcrew » 11th May 09, 19:16

I'm with you Sarc....it just doesnt excite me at all so far
blackdeathcrew
 
Posts: 578
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 13:30
Location: Worcestershire

Postby Chris Davies » 11th May 09, 22:10

I've only listened to it twice and yeah it's ok but nothing spectacular. Kinda drags on and on. Prehaps it will be more of a grower.

The first two songs are my favourites so far, and I do mean the 50 second intro, theres something about it that makes the hairs on my kneck stand up.
Chris Davies
 
Posts: 480
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 15:12
Location: Swansea

Postby my3dtvtan » 12th May 09, 00:05

As already said above I like it but its nothing special.

Im suspecting a grower as I have wanted to go back for another listen I just cant quite figure out why yet

Christian's Inferno and East Jesus Nowhere are standing out on first listen. Both really good tracks but, again, nothing perticually special on offer.

All in all its good. Easly good enough to become digestable fodder for 14 year olds the world over.

Btw I was trying to figure out which Gogol Bordello song 'Pacemaker' was a cover of :shock: My GOD what a way to completely rip off one bands formula. Seriously its like theyve compacted the entire Gypsy Punks album in to a 3 minuite song. Im not saying I dont like it but shurely someone else has noticed the rip off factor.
Interviewer - "So whats the secret of your longevity?"
Ginger - "Splitting up!"

"Bernard, its hot in the worm."

"School aint shit, I read it in a book"
my3dtvtan
 
Posts: 287
Joined: 8th Nov 06, 11:48
Location: Widnes, Cheshire

Postby Damian » 12th May 09, 01:10

my3dtvtan wrote:All in all its good. Easly good enough to become digestable fodder for 14 year olds the world over.

Why is "14 year old" (and more commonly, "15 year old") a term of putdown abuse these days? I never quite understand.
Damian
 
Posts: 1257
Joined: 11th Feb 06, 02:14
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby my3dtvtan » 12th May 09, 01:36

Damian wrote:
my3dtvtan wrote:All in all its good. Easly good enough to become digestable fodder for 14 year olds the world over.

Why is "14 year old" (and more commonly, "15 year old") a term of putdown abuse these days? I never quite understand.


Had no idea it was "putdown abuse" or at least I wasnt using it to referance that. I was saying that for kids of that age who are usally beginning to discover their own tastes in music this album is an easily digestable one that will thrive on that audience. In other words if your old enough to remember Insomniac comming out youl know this dosent even compair but if your arround 14 you may be aware of Green Day but this album will be your first segway in to the band and youl love it. This is a large portion of the target audience after all and 14 year olds the world over will be the reason this album sells millions.

Perhaps fodder was the wrong word.

I need a lie down....
Interviewer - "So whats the secret of your longevity?"
Ginger - "Splitting up!"

"Bernard, its hot in the worm."

"School aint shit, I read it in a book"
my3dtvtan
 
Posts: 287
Joined: 8th Nov 06, 11:48
Location: Widnes, Cheshire

Postby spoon_of_grimbo » 12th May 09, 02:15

i heard half of "know your enemy" and it didn't make me particular enthused about hearing the rest of the album. i'd go as far as to say it was dogshit.
IF THERE'S A SOUND YOU PLAY THAT DOESN'T FIT TODAY,
WHY NOT JUST PLAY THE BASTARD ANYWAY?!
Image
spoon_of_grimbo
 
Posts: 915
Joined: 19th Aug 07, 13:56
Location: Boston, UK (Home) / Coventry, UK (Uni)

Postby markE » 12th May 09, 11:07

listened to a bit last night - best track so far is the intro.
hope it grows on me, i was never a massive fan but i really like the american idiot album.
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE
 
Posts: 764
Joined: 18th May 06, 13:53

Postby DangerousBeans » 12th May 09, 14:17

Not impressed with it at all.

When i heard Know Your Enemy i thought it was quite bland and now having heard the album i think it's one of the better tracks.

Boring album.
DangerousBeans
 
Posts: 287
Joined: 25th Jun 06, 13:15
Location: Ayr

Postby Mattie » 12th May 09, 19:56

Made some mp3's of the album stream on The Sun website (honestly, I didn't click any other links!)

Listened maybe 4 times overall, maybe just the sound quality (with it being a stream) lead to any loud songs sounding shit as you couldn't make out all the frequencies and complexities

My initial opinion was 'some songs are pretty good, but some just so bland and forgettable'. It has far too many shorter tracks that just aren't particularly creative and even the single '2 part' song on it was repetetive and shit whereas American Idiot nailed it with it's longer 3-4 part songs

Possibly not helped by the fact that my ears were still ringing from the Ginger gig, but I found parts of it quite irritating.
Mattie
 
Posts: 220
Joined: 28th Jan 07, 22:59
Location: Derby

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 15th May 09, 21:09

I noticed on Itunes that they have two bonus tracks on the album then a deluxe version with 4 bonus tracks. The thing is they say 'pre-order only' on the bonus tracks yet they don't tell you what the tracks are, they could just be live versions of other songs.

Kerrang has given it 5ks, they gave American Idiot 4ks.
Jason_scorching_past
 
Posts: 263
Joined: 20th Jul 08, 20:50

Postby spoon_of_grimbo » 15th May 09, 22:18

Jason_scorching_past wrote:Kerrang has given it 5ks, they gave American Idiot 4ks.


yeah, but the earlier they start sloppily felating the album, the more cover-features they'll get with the band. and is it me, or are adverts slowly overtaking that magazine? i find i can read it from cover to cover in a matter of minutes when i pop into tesco, and not even get thrown out for doing so!
IF THERE'S A SOUND YOU PLAY THAT DOESN'T FIT TODAY,
WHY NOT JUST PLAY THE BASTARD ANYWAY?!
Image
spoon_of_grimbo
 
Posts: 915
Joined: 19th Aug 07, 13:56
Location: Boston, UK (Home) / Coventry, UK (Uni)

Postby Benny Hiroshima » 16th May 09, 02:15

I heard the single and wanted to douse my ear-drums in bleach. Awful stuff.

To be honest I'm more looking forward to the new Manics album. Tracks I've heard so far are brilliant and it feels great to hear the words of Mr Richard James Edwards.
Image
Benny Hiroshima
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 16th May 09, 02:11
Location: Cardiff / Swansea

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 16th May 09, 10:45

spoon_of_grimbo wrote:
Jason_scorching_past wrote:Kerrang has given it 5ks, they gave American Idiot 4ks.


yeah, but the earlier they start sloppily felating the album, the more cover-features they'll get with the band. !


I suspect their score may be due to the fact they gave American Idiot 4ks, that album goes supernova, so they think shit we didn''t see that coming, give the latest effort 5.

Then again maybe they think it is worthy, I haven't heard any songs yet. I thought American Idiot was a great album though.
Jason_scorching_past
 
Posts: 263
Joined: 20th Jul 08, 20:50

Postby Damian » 16th May 09, 18:27

I'm halfway in (on Spotify, although a copy's in the post) and absolutely loving it. They said before it came out that it would be a "power pop" album. Listening, they aren't kidding. And power pop is my favourite type of music.
Damian
 
Posts: 1257
Joined: 11th Feb 06, 02:14
Location: Bristol, UK

Next

Return to The Cloakroom

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests