Page 1 of 2

books

PostPosted: 1st Aug 06, 11:16
by markE
can anyone reccomend any books on rock music.The only one I've read is "The Dirt - Motley Crue" which was entertaining but I'm looking for something a bit more worthwhile ( at least until ginger gets round to publishing/finishing his :roll:

PostPosted: 1st Aug 06, 12:59
by SteveP
Iron Maiden's Run To The Hills,

top read in my opinion

and The Dirt as already mentioned, trememndous!!!

PostPosted: 1st Aug 06, 15:12
by Sully
A drink with Shane Macgowan by his bird (i cant remember her name).
She just sat down with him and a tape recorder in different locations over a few months or whatever, did a few interviews with him and it was transcribed into a book.
It's decent, give it a go.

Oh aye,
White Line Fever by Lemmy Kilmister. I read it in about an hour, there's some funny stories in it though.

And another i read years ago,
Marilyn mansons autobiography. It's completely fucked up, in a good way.
I never liked his music but it's a good read.

Can't think of owt else.

PostPosted: 1st Aug 06, 16:19
by Ean
Mark Radcliffe's SHOWBUSINESS: The Diary Of A Rock 'N' Roll Nobody.

Sighs of recognition from failed rockers everywhere, and damned funny as well.

If you want fiction, there's always Espedair Street by Iain Banks

PostPosted: 1st Aug 06, 16:53
by Ross
The Clash book by Johnny Green called A Riot of Our Own is excellent, the perspective of the roadie on their career, as such it isn't nostalgic or tainted with band egos...

PostPosted: 1st Aug 06, 23:14
by nig1012
scar tissue by anthony keidis its along the same lines as the dirt but even if your not a fan (like meself) you`ll still find it interesting

PostPosted: 2nd Aug 06, 00:23
by Damian
I can recommend a rock film. Find a copy of "Dig!" if you can...

PostPosted: 2nd Aug 06, 09:50
by SchitzoStu
Ean wrote:If you want fiction, there's always Espedair Street by Iain Banks


Fantastic book.

I heard a rumour at one stage they were planning a film based on Espedair Street with Fish playing the lead. Would have been good......

PostPosted: 2nd Aug 06, 14:24
by blackdeathcrew
Ross wrote:The Clash book by Johnny Green called A Riot of Our Own is excellent, the perspective of the roadie on their career, as such it isn't nostalgic or tainted with band egos...



thats an excellent read 8)

PostPosted: 2nd Aug 06, 22:03
by tex
Damian wrote:I can recommend a rock film. Find a copy of "Dig!" if you can...



Fantastic film.

I can't stand either band save for a song or two, and after watching this I hated them even more. Except for Joel, he was pretty cool and more than a little human by the end of it.

Oh, and Peter Hayes. Although the BRMC main man doesn't get too much screen time.

Must have seen it about 9 or 10 times now and I still watch it with my jaw on the floor.

PostPosted: 3rd Aug 06, 10:20
by Radish
Try "The Eight Legged Atomic Dustbin Will Eat Itself" (Wonderstuff, Neds, Poppies) or "Goodnight Jim Bob: On the road with Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine". Both great books with a distinctly Brit perspective on the music business, very different to stuff like Scar Tissue (which is also good).

PostPosted: 3rd Aug 06, 12:32
by WiredOut
Ean wrote:Mark Radcliffe's SHOWBUSINESS: The Diary Of A Rock 'N' Roll Nobody.

Sighs of recognition from failed rockers everywhere, and damned funny as well.

If you want fiction, there's always Espedair Street by Iain Banks


I started reading that Mark Radcliffe book, but couldn't get far through it. I like the guy as a presenter and generally find him funny; but I thought trying to squeeze in about 4 jokes/comic exaggerations a sentence was a bit much to stomach for a book-length read. It was funny for a while, but then I just got saturated with it.

I mean, I thought it got to the point that it was pretty much impossible to discern how many of/ to what extent the events which occurred at a particular gig/event were true. The writing style seemed more suited to an autobiographically-tinged piece of fiction or maybe a regular magazine column than an entire book supposedly about a passage from the writer's own life.

But maybe I shouldn't take it so seriously :) I might go back and have another look at it. Bite-sized chunks, mind.

PostPosted: 3rd Aug 06, 13:26
by Ean
WiredOut wrote:
But maybe I shouldn't take it so seriously :) I might go back and have another look at it. Bite-sized chunks, mind.


I know a fair few names were changed to protect the guilty, but it's still a good read. Just pretend it all really happened, in a Spinal Tap sort of way. Maybe smaller doses is better... I still re-read it about once a year. :)

His novel about the folk scene, Northern Sky, is worth a read too, although I'll admit I wasn't keen on the ending.

PostPosted: 3rd Aug 06, 13:38
by shockingcandy
I enjoyed Fargo Rock City.

PostPosted: 4th Aug 06, 09:39
by Radish
And how could I forget John Peel's "Margrave of the Marshes". Really hits home what a great bloke he was.