MARKET HARBOUR REViEWS

Albums, singles, songs and general Ginger banter

Postby SiN1758 » 30th Jan 08, 16:06

Wrenaldo wrote:Sounds like CJ is doing the backing vocals on Couple Trouble, anyone agree?


Yeah, definitely. CJ's backing vox always seem to be a little higher in the mix than other backing singers.....
SiN1758
 
Posts: 171
Joined: 18th Apr 07, 14:38
Location: Herts

Postby Ilsa » 30th Jan 08, 17:07

I have to agree with everyone whose commented that the album improves with each play through. It's really beautiful.

I loved Casino Bay, Soap Hammer, The Queen of Leaving and Shatterproof immediately - the other tracs on this epic album have teken their time, but now I can listen to it as an entire beautifully orchestrated piece.

I was only introcuced to Ginger by a friend who recommeded Yoni a few months ago, and already this album, Yoni and VDC are CD's I can't imagine not having in my collection.
Ilsa
 
Posts: 428
Joined: 28th Jan 08, 15:18
Location: t' north

Postby Pacman » 30th Jan 08, 18:26

Jeeze wrote:
The Perilous Burden of Prodical Obligation is truly captivating!




Long time lurker here, thought I'd add my thoughts. Have had the album since Saturday and on the first listen I was very impressed, "The Perilous etc etc etc" stood out on the first listen, it's rare for me to like something instantly. Normally tracks take a while to sink in. However, the more instant an album is to me the quicker I'm bored with it. I hope this won't be the case as so far I'm really enjoying it.
Pacman
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 30th Jan 08, 18:14

Postby DangerousBeans » 30th Jan 08, 22:10

It does improve with evry listen...however theres so much to take in it'll take weeks to even think about reviewing it.
DangerousBeans
 
Posts: 287
Joined: 25th Jun 06, 13:15
Location: Ayr

Postby davejnick » 30th Jan 08, 23:50

DangerousBeans wrote:It does improve with evry listen...however theres so much to take in it'll take weeks to even think about reviewing it.


Agreed.
How dare you!
davejnick
 
Posts: 527
Joined: 6th Mar 06, 23:14
Location: The Steel City

Postby Ben Wright » 31st Jan 08, 00:16

I'm liking the Go! Team style stuff on it. Big fan of their first album.

Like the vibe and atmosphere, even if it makes me a feel a bit sad / reflective.
Image
Ben Wright
 
Posts: 214
Joined: 23rd Nov 06, 15:03
Location: Swansea

Postby Sarc » 31st Jan 08, 11:28

Can i be the first to demand Soap Hammer to be played on the acoustic shows? :lol: :lol:
Did you just say "Pig Flute"?

http://www.amiatwat.com

Please welcome a new kind of Mod
Sarc
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: 25th Apr 07, 22:27
Location: Brighton

Postby Elle » 31st Jan 08, 14:40

I agree with the view that this is gingers finest work to date, I am finding the album very moody in good way , it does seem like our hero has moved to another level
Elle
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 8th Jan 08, 00:14

Postby fluffygrue » 31st Jan 08, 15:49

After a few listens, it's good, but hasn't grabbed me yet.

The Perilous Burden of Prodigal Obligation does stand out as being great, though.
fluffygrue
 
Posts: 528
Joined: 23rd Feb 06, 15:47
Location: Manchester, UK

Postby Workyticket » 31st Jan 08, 17:50

Got the album today, and I'm not even fucking thinking of saying anything for a couple of weeks. This sucker's going to need some digesting (Not to mention that Bob Mould's had the temerity to preview his new alum on his myspace... you'd think two of my avourite songwriters could nut out a schedule, wouldn't you)! But it's fantastic so far...
Workyticket
 
Posts: 83
Joined: 25th Feb 06, 17:40
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Postby Chris Davies » 31st Jan 08, 19:09

I'd like to take back my earlier statement.

Having listened to it over and over I think its an excellent album , I just love the way it flows. I wouldnt even think of listening to any individual songs or putting it on random , this has to be played the way it was meant to be , its pretty close to perfect. Even the instrumentals.

Lyrically probably the best work Gingers done as a whole. I'm particularly liking 'I knew you (An Amnesis)' , 'Awareness and the great integrity' and 'A malibu chronicle' at the moment but thats just for now , yesturday it was 'Queen of leaving' and 'Attentionette'. Fantastic stuff.

One question on the chorus of 'The Perilous Burden......' is Ginger singing ? I suprisingly can't tell , at first I thought it was but when I was listening to it on my ipod I couldnt tell.
Chris Davies
 
Posts: 480
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 15:12
Location: Swansea

Postby Soundog » 1st Feb 08, 10:16

Ben Wright wrote:I'm liking the Go! Team style stuff on it. Big fan of their first album.


Hey, what's wrong with 'Proof Of Youth'?
Soundog
 
Posts: 160
Joined: 29th Mar 07, 09:43
Location: Germany

Postby Ilsa » 1st Feb 08, 11:39

Ben Wright wrote:I'm liking the Go! Team style stuff on it. Big fan of their first album.

Like the vibe and atmosphere, even if it makes me a feel a bit sad / reflective.


I can see where you're coming from. "Thunder, Lightening, Strike" is so busy it never fails to get the bloody coursing through my veins - excellent hangover music. The cheerleader-type chants are reminsicent of the all-too-catchy "You and me (that's what I want)"
Ilsa
 
Posts: 428
Joined: 28th Jan 08, 15:18
Location: t' north

Postby Pudu » 1st Feb 08, 11:54

OK, I have reserved posting as yet whilst I have been attempting (very, very hard) to actually find an opinion about this album. I love VDC and Yoni and they are up there with my faves but I really struggled just to get some sort of opinion about MH, either positive or negative - it just sort of passed me by every time I listened to it without any sort of engagement.

I am delighted that finally this morning I have found an opinion (The hail must have brought it overnight), I started up the car to come to work this morning and lo and behold the song that started my journey I started to like!!! (The Perilous......) And before anyone says it I know people on here have been saying how good that song is but I have been unable to see it until now.

Then low and behold every song that came on since I started liking and actually sing along to - Ginger once again has proven his GOD-like status to me and I must apologise to him for having slight doubts after my first listen (and every other one for the last 5 days!).

Long live Ginger!
Pudu
 
Posts: 628
Joined: 4th Jan 08, 00:33
Location: Warrington

Postby geordierussell » 1st Feb 08, 13:05

This album just gets better and better.

Does anyone else thing that the solo on Awareness And The Great Integrity would sound awesome if performed by Slash?
geordierussell
 
Posts: 1231
Joined: 9th Mar 06, 18:59
Location: chesterfield

PreviousNext

Return to Ginger Music and General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 94 guests