MARKET HARBOUR REViEWS

Albums, singles, songs and general Ginger banter

Postby macc lad » 27th Jan 08, 13:43

first listen some great songs on here how does the man do it so consistently !
Eh up lets sup !
macc lad
 
Posts: 99
Joined: 23rd Nov 07, 22:22
Location: dudley

Postby Wrenaldo » 27th Jan 08, 16:10

I love this so far. I always reserve judgment until after a couple of weeks of listening cos then it can be put in context but already I can say the ambition of this quasi-concept album is staggering. It is a sonic adventure. And a brilliant one at that. I don't feel that there is any self-indulgence either in this, just sh*t-loads of ideas and creativity. It is epic on a scale that is rarely heard in music today. No-one else would dare to put such variation in an album as Ginger has here! Every corner turned is so unexpected and ranges through so many styles at breathtaking speed (e.g. the Lightningseeds meets Drum n Bass sound of Soap Hammer). There are so many nods to great bands and styles (e.g. the Eagles-esque Malibu Chronical or the Beach Boys) and even returns to familiar territory like the SG5 sound of Overeasy. And by the way, How Hard Can You Make It For Me is f*cking beautiful!!!!!! I could go on and on and on and on, but I would need several hours for that.
Wrenaldo
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 25th Apr 07, 02:23

Postby macc lad » 27th Jan 08, 19:15

did the Sun review it ???
Eh up lets sup !
macc lad
 
Posts: 99
Joined: 23rd Nov 07, 22:22
Location: dudley

Postby Ean » 27th Jan 08, 19:55

Not so far.
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."

WH THEMED WH EMOTiCONS? MAiS OUi!!
User avatar
Ean
 
Posts: 3084
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 15:44
Location: Just next to my confuser

Postby Chris Davies » 27th Jan 08, 20:15

Just finished my first listen and from that It took me til the chorus of "The Perilous Burden..." to think oh that was pretty good. I also liked 'A Malibu Chronicle' and 'Overeasy' aswell the rest I found very hard to take in , of course with plenty more listens i'll be able to give a proper view on the album. I do like how the songs flow into eachother but i've never been a fan of instrumentals from any band so with 6 or 7 of them it kinda puts me off.

Also anyone think Gingers vocals are too quiet ? If it werent for the lyric booklet i dont think id have been able to make out any of the vocals.

I'll give it plenty more listens until I give a proper review. But instantly I think 6 instrumentals too many.
Chris Davies
 
Posts: 480
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 15:12
Location: Swansea

Postby skychaserhigh » 27th Jan 08, 21:10

This is an album that really shines upon reapet listens,

with each new listen i'm hearing new things which i prefere to an album that gives you everything on the first spin,

can't fault the production either, pretty perfect in my opinion,

i feel with gingers solo stuff you really get to hear the man pour his soul out.. truly messmerising..

as someone once said 'Thank you for the music' :wink:
I Wanna take this knife and jam it right through your heart
I Wanna tear your fucking world apart !!!
skychaserhigh
 
Posts: 687
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 20:59
Location: Cardiff

Postby Damian » 28th Jan 08, 02:51

Fair to say it saves the best for last. "Shatterproof" is something else.

And RIGHT at the end after that... that's Mr Poole, isn't it?
Damian
 
Posts: 1257
Joined: 11th Feb 06, 02:14
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby Dave C » 28th Jan 08, 20:03

I'm gonna stop reading preview threads. I think the CD is ok, nothing more.
Having said that there's a few crackers on there, and Gingers stuff generally grows on me.
I'm a little dissapointed I guess. Ask me again next month.
Don't use See Tickets. They'll rip you off!
Dave C
 
Posts: 330
Joined: 15th Feb 06, 20:31
Location: Barrow in Furness, Lancashire, England.

Postby Andwah » 28th Jan 08, 21:44

I think it's class. It's got a cornelius vibe to it at times, i love music when it evolves and this is a musical evolution.
I like the sounds and there's some beautiful abstract string arrangements.

I'm yet to pin point Dean's beatboxing, but there's time for that yet.
Andwah
 
Posts: 190
Joined: 19th Dec 07, 16:41

Postby geordierussell » 28th Jan 08, 23:21

one word for this.

beautiful.

every time I listen to the CD I get something new. currently rated at 9/10, after first listen it was only a 5 or 6.
geordierussell
 
Posts: 1231
Joined: 9th Mar 06, 18:59
Location: chesterfield

Postby blackdeathcrew » 29th Jan 08, 11:35

I think it's a lovely album (not a word I use when decribing an album very often) Beautiful songs, and superb production
blackdeathcrew
 
Posts: 578
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 13:30
Location: Worcestershire

Postby vanrad » 29th Jan 08, 11:52

so far, so great for me.... but it needs some more listens. Ginger's children singing a couple of songs (it must be them as they've got a credit) on paper seems a corny cheesy idea on record makes perfect sense. He's done it again and IMHO nobody else can touch him (again!).
vanrad
 
Posts: 226
Joined: 16th Feb 06, 14:19
Location: Falkirk FK2

Postby Sarc » 29th Jan 08, 17:06

Well I finally got my hands on it, it's a bit good innit?
Did you just say "Pig Flute"?

http://www.amiatwat.com

Please welcome a new kind of Mod
Sarc
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: 25th Apr 07, 22:27
Location: Brighton

Postby markE » 29th Jan 08, 19:13

it's weird but i like it :D

why couldn't "attentionette" be a wildhearts song? it would kick ass live - i can see us all jumping up and down. dunner, nunner ner ner etc.
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE
 
Posts: 764
Joined: 18th May 06, 13:53

Postby davejnick » 29th Jan 08, 21:18

Goddammit, mine still hasn't fucking turned up.
How dare you!
davejnick
 
Posts: 527
Joined: 6th Mar 06, 23:14
Location: The Steel City

PreviousNext

Return to Ginger Music and General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 91 guests

cron