any pc people?

Off-topic chat. Items cannot be returned without a ticket.

any pc people?

Postby Col » 9th Jan 09, 00:03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi peeps
While surfing the net the monitor just went blank. Rebooted, checked all leads - no joy.

There is power to the monitor and the manufacturers name comes on when started. When pc is fired up the following happens:
1 line of text
Acer screen appears
windows start screen (at first, has stopped now)
computer and hard drive seem to be working, hard drive light flickers etc
monitor screen remains black

On starting it says to select del or f12 for either set up screen. When selecting either option it displays the menu for a second then carries on booting and monitor goes black.

I'm not able to adjust the monitor contrast, settings etc nothing shows up on screen when buttons are pushed

Any ideas?
Col
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: 12th Feb 06, 17:28

Postby Ean » 9th Jan 09, 00:29

Is the 'one line of text' the bit about pressing del or F12? (BTW have you got a Dell 4400?)

What kind of monitor is it?
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."

WH THEMED WH EMOTiCONS? MAiS OUi!!
User avatar
Ean
 
Posts: 3084
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 15:44
Location: Just next to my confuser

Postby Col » 9th Jan 09, 00:51

I just plugged the monitor into the laptop and the same thing happened. It flashes images for a second then goes black.

I guess the monitor is goosed?

It now looks like it is displaying certain things for a split second then going blank.

I'll try out another monitor tomorrow.
Col
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: 12th Feb 06, 17:28

Postby Ean » 9th Jan 09, 01:01

Seems like it.

Let us know how you get on.
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."

WH THEMED WH EMOTiCONS? MAiS OUi!!
User avatar
Ean
 
Posts: 3084
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 15:44
Location: Just next to my confuser

Postby Pauly » 9th Jan 09, 16:06

Similar thing just happened to me with my homebrew PC, was a fried GFX card. Either that or you have the cyberclap from the binternet.
Psychotronic Love Commando
Pauly
 
Posts: 151
Joined: 27th Mar 08, 12:48
Location: Edinburgh

Postby Assmask » 9th Jan 09, 16:55

Does the LED on the monitor change colour?

If the monitor is not getting a signal it will go yellow. Like it is when you turn on the monitor but the PC is off. If the LED goes yellow when it turns off then really quite frankly I have no idea what that could be mean. But I would guess GFX card.

If it stays green I woudl say most certainly goosed monitor. Espesh when you consider it does the same with the lappy.
Assmask
 
Posts: 571
Joined: 30th Mar 06, 12:22
Location: Belfast

Postby Col » 9th Jan 09, 21:32

Aye,, it was the monitor that was fooked.

New one sorted.
Col
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: 12th Feb 06, 17:28


Return to The Cloakroom

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests